10/5/09

Reading Response: NY Times

How bizarre. While the juxtaposition of the Tiffany's advertisements next to the the international news section-which is inevitably going to contain articles of of controversial, decidedly un-Tiffany's nature-packs in more than enough irony onto one page, the fact that there are also visual correlations with shapes and arrangements is too weird! This reminds me a lot of what we've been doing with our safari shots and our line studies. I like how juxtapositions can be anywhere from a complete contrast, to a subtle resemblance, to a freaky exactness, and a relationship can still be recognized. I'm not sure I would have picked up on most of the Tiffany's comparisons normally, but once you get into a mode where you're actively examining graphic qualities, the connections are seemingly limitless. And when it comes to using juxtaposition deliberately, it becomes a really powerful communication tool because it allows you to make elaborate conceptual statements without having to use a lot of words or other visual cues that might be unnecessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment